9/20/2008 Community Gumbo
Listen | Democracy Now (9/17/08)
- US Seizes Control of AIG with $85 Billion Bailout
- Sarah Palin and Global Warming: Alaska Prof. Says Palin Misrepresented State Findings on Endangered Polar Bears…and Tried to Cover It Up
- Evo Morales Accuses Right-Wing Governors of Trying to Stage Violent Coup; 30 Dead, Many Still Missing in Pando
- Amidst Wall Street Woes, Labor Activist & Writer Bill Fletcher on “Solidarity Divided: The Crisis in Organized Labor and a New Path toward Social Justice”
- Book: Cheney’s Drive for Warrantless Spying Nearly Brought Down Bush Presidency
Jamie Billiot is the Executive Director of the Dulac Community Center, and a member of the United Houma Nation. She was joined by volunteers from Southern Illinois University this past Thursday to move soggy books, water-logged furniture, and thick mud outside of the center. More volunteers and donations will be needed to help the United Houma Nation recover from Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.
Jamie can be reached at jjbilliot at removethis gmail dot com.
If you'd like to volunteer to help members of the United Houma Nation clean up houses and buildings flooded by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, send an email to communitygumbo at removethis gmail dot com.
Or visit the United Houma Nation Web site at UnitedHoumaNation.org.
More photos of the Dulac Community Center are in the Karen Apricot Flickr collection.
More photos of relief efforts in the United Houma Nation can be found in the vmcgmar Flickr collection.
Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys, "Indien sur le chicot"
Feufollet, "Belle Louisiane"